CapFABB

Review: Edited for Goodwill Pop-Up Shop


Source: DC Goodwill

Hello Everyone!

*This week has been super hectic, and I will try my best to keep the content coming. I am in the middle of moving (got my keys August 1st!!!) and leaving my  job (last day is Friday, August 3rd :-( ), so you can understand why my posts may not be as frequent in the coming weeks.  However,  I have been working on scheduling posts 3 times a week (Mon-Wed-Fri)to keep you all up-to-date. But life does get in the way sometimes and the best plans go awry. I may post more or less (considering my hectic August it may be more of the latter), but I plan to shoot for 3 times a week at a minimum.*

Besides running around like a mad woman picking up my apt. keys and running back and forth over the Anacostia River checking things off my list Wednesday (8/1), I was able to stop by DC Goodwill's Pop-up shop - Edited (see more info here). I can say at first glance I was...well...underwhelmed!  It began at 12pm and I strolled in casually around 12:20/12:30pm. My first impression was of a warehouse sale; things were picked over before I even got there and the line was wrapped around the corner.  However, upon closer inspection I was really impressed with Gensler; they did a great job incorporating colors and simple decorations when decorating the pop-up shop. The front space was a bit bare with the clever use of boxes and color coordination (in the beginning, clothing was placed in color groups) to really play up the items on sale. A chair or jar served as merchandise and added to the ambiance!  In contrast, the back room reminded me of a sample sale in NY; clothing strewn about and women clamoring to get to items on the shelf. It was all a bit much given the small selection and the large amount of people; it was a bit of an afterthought rather than a continution of the front room theme. 

Now for the actual merchadise.  The place  looked picked over, the line was hella long, and the pickings were slim!  I was so disoriented I had no idea where to look or what to look for!  It was like thrifiting in the middle of Times Square! I was ready to pack up my bags and leave when I realized - WAIT I'M THRIFTING!  It's not like walking into a store where everything is laid out pretty (though they did a great job with the displays), and the fun thing about thrifting is the hunt and the great finds!

Well as I looked closer at all the items, my thrifting spirit came back, and I was able to find little bits here and there. Though most clothing went back on the rack,  I did find a beautiful candle  holder which will serve as decor in our new place and a pair of burgundy pumps ( I had to trade for them though!!).  My friend found awesome but uncomfortable Bakers Leopard Print Pumps and a cute crossbody bag.  Though, I have to admit, many of my finds were accidental in nature. They were either left behind or spotted on the floor of the dressing room, but I did get a chance to see many of the other items women were getting! You would be able to walk away with great stuff if you have the time and patience - something working folk in DC lack during their lunch hour! You probably won't be walking out with bags and bags of clothing, but you will definitely be able to snag a few quality pieces!  I was there for probably like 2 hours scouring, and snagged a cute tank from F21, a day dress, nantucket red long shorts, candle holder, and burgundy pumps for only $25.27!! I felt proud of myself that I didn't grab too much, but am itching to head back (It runs from Aug 1- 3 from 12pm to 7pm next door to the National Portrait Gallery of G ST NW)!



Overall, I will probably try to go back Thursday and possibly Friday!  They had stock in the back that they would bring out so every day will probably bring new and exciting finds!  Definitely try to support if you have time! [I apologize this post is going up so late!  Edited for Goodwill is still open today, 8/3, from 12 to 7pm, and hopefully you can grab some last minute things before they shut their doors!]
Pictures clockwise from left: 1) Sign for Edited for Decor, 2) Edited store front; 3) Internal Decor; 4)Beautiful Red Chair I would have loved to take home with me; 5) My friend and my finds!; 6) A fellow shopper looking over items; and 7) Edited makes its mark in DC

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.